Latest Ramblings

Junior Achievement Group

October 21st, 2014 | No Comments

11 April 1937

Junior Achievement Group

Junior Achievement Group of Younger Girls at Holyoke
April 1937

Of Younger Girls at Holyoke

Holyoke, April 10 – While many of the sewing classes at the Junior Achievement foundation are for older girls, the smaller girls are not forgotten, as witness this group of Busy Sewers and Singers taught by Miss Lorraine St. Onge (extreme right). The pupils, left to right are: Janie Sienowski, Vincie Cartabona, Wanda Sienowski and Shirley Ayotte.

Adapted from The Springfield Republican.

Tombstone Tuesday — Forestdale Cemetery — William S. Stedman

October 21st, 2014 | No Comments

01 April 1935

William Sheldon StedmanSeptember 21 1856 March 29, 1935

William Sheldon Stedman
September 21 1856
March 29, 1935

William Sheldon Stedman

William Sheldon Stedman, owner of the Stedman Paper Company, jobbers of this city, died Friday evening at the home, 25 Harvard Street, aftr a short illness. He was born in Freeport, Ill., Sept 21, 1856, and came to this city from Northampton in 1880. A short time after his arrival here he entered the paper jobbing business with J. K. Judd and established the Stedman Paper Company, which he actively headed until two months ago when he became ill. He was a member of the Second Congregational Church.

He leaves his widow, Mary S. (Bridgman) Stedman, whom he married in Northampton in 1890, one son, William S. Stedman, Jr., associated with his father in the paper business, and two grandchildren.


Holyoke Snippets — 18 July 1918

October 20th, 2014 | No Comments

18 July 1918

1918 Overland Model 90 B Touring Car

1918 Overland Model 90 B Touring Car
Image Courtesy of the Henry Ford Museum

Ford Gets Furious — Lawrence Hudzikiewicz Could Not Control It and is Under ArrestLawrence Hudzikiewicz, of 392 Chicopee Street, Willimansett, lost control of his Ford touring car at High and Dwight Streets at 12:45 yesterday afternoon, and it was only by extremely high jumping that Traffic Officer Kilmurray escaped from being telescoped. The Ford, after failing to ram the officer, darted against a machine twice its size owned by W. E. Hutchinson of the American Writing Paper Company and gored the back mudguard of the larger automobile. In the meantime the Ford was being pursued by Officer Kilmurray, but before it would stop the driver brought it up on the curbing of the Dwight Street sidewalk in front of City Hall. The machine was then boarded by the officer and driven to the police station where the driver was placed under arrest. His license to drive a car was issued on the 9th, and it is presumed that he had not yet learned the vagaries of a full-sized Ford, hence, when it took control of matters he was unable to persuade it to stop. The Ford did not seem to be injured in the slightest and appeared to be perfectly satisfied with the damage inflicted on the other car.

To Raise $1,000 a Month For War Relief – Plans are underway to raise $1,000 a month in Holyoe for relief work in northern France and Belgium, the fund to be administered by Miss Belle Skinner. The school children have been interested in the work and will be thoroughly organized at the opening of the fall term. it is planned to have each school in the fall adopt one French orphan and become responsible for his care. Miss Skinner has signified her willingness to take charge of this relief work in the name of Holyoke.

Already 93 Jobless Have Registered -- The number of Holyoke’s unemployed bids fair to go over the 100 mark, as up to yesterday noon 93 had registered. The police officers will now keep watch of any loafers on their beats and the ranks of thhe park lizards will also be thinned. Just how valuable the registrants will be in many instances at real work remains to be learned, but it is thought that they will help out the situation to some degree in the present labor shortage.

Four Under Draft Age Enlist – Four more young men were enlisted by Sergeant Green  yesterday, all being under the draft age. They are as follows: Thomas J. Debens, 18, of 112 Newton Street and Ernest Gagne, 19, 0f 22 Highland Avenue, Willimansett, were accepted for the Calvary.  Jeremiah J. Aubrey, 19, of 25 High Street, South Hadley Falls signed up with the field artillery and Michael Rorzek, 18, of 20 Kimball Street, Chicopee, goes to the infantry.

Child Drowned in CanalLittle Antonio Nowak Falls From Railroad Bridge — Police Fail to Find Body. Antonio Nowak, four, living at 4 High Street, fell into the canal in the read of the D. Mackintosh & Sons mill at 5:55 last evening and was drowned. The police dragged the canal for the body but failed to recover it, and it will probably not be found until the water from the canal is drawn off on Sunday. The little boy, with his sister, was crossing the railroad bridge over the canal when he saw some driftwood in the water and climbed down on a girder to get it. In reaching for it he lost his balance and fell into the canal. The alarm was given at once and the police were notified and secured a boat and dragged the canal for some little time. The current is rather strong and it is possible that the body has been carried for some distance from where the accident took place. This makes the second drowning accident in the canal this summer.

Adapted from The Springfield Republican.
Image 1918 Overland Model 90 B Touring Car, Courtesy of the Henry Ford Museum.

German Club — Holyoke High School, 1953-1954

October 20th, 2014 | No Comments


German Club -- Holyoke High School, 1953-1954

German Club — Holyoke High School

German Club

Left to right: D. Ellert, B. Beaulieu, Secretary and Treasurer; J. Purnhagen, President; J. Beck, Vice-President; R. Spicer, L. Redfern.

(Click on image to see a larger version)

New Holyoke Theater

October 17th, 2014 | No Comments

Live at the New Holyoke Theater, on schedule for 22 December 1942.  Sylvia Sidney and Staats Cotsworth in Pygmalion.  And at bargain prices.

22 December 1942

Upcoming at the New Holyoke Theater:

New Holyoke theater, 461 Dwight Street, Holyoke

New Holyoke theater, 461 Dwight Street, Holyoke

Sylvia Sidney was a big name and had a career that spanned 70 years. Sidney was married to Bennett Cerf at one time, for those of you who may remember him — it is worth a look on Wikipedia to read about her.  Staats Cotsworth was mostly known as a radio actor/personality.

Adapted from The Springfield Republican.


Suggested Holyoke Books

Mountain Park -- The Holyoke destination we all loved.

Mount Holyoke College

Mount Holyoke College, Postcard History by Donna Albino. Many Holyoke women have attended Mount Holyoke. Author also maintains an amazing MHC website based upon her personal collection.

Holyoke - Chicopee, A Perspective

Holyoke-Chicopee: A Perspective, by Ella Merkel DiCarlo. DiCarlo, a former Transcript columnist offers a fascinating compilation of her essays. Published in 1982, this out-of-print book is worth looking for in the aftermarket.


Holyoke, by Craig Della Penna. The first Holyoke book in the Arcadia series, published in 1997.

Belle Skinner Collection

Belle Skinner Collection, by Ruth Isabel Skinner. Published in 1933, this book is long out of print but copies are still available in the aftermarket.

Mitch Epstein: Family Business

Mitch Epstein: Family Business Published in 2003, available in the aftermarket. Epstein's furniture.