by Laurel | February 6th, 2013
05 July 1936
From 1886 to 1889 over a score of trees were planted in the Appleton Street school yard. These included mainly elms, maples and spruce trees. Of these now but two are left. Each tree was named after a man or woman of fame at the time — some local, some out of state-wide fame and some of international fame. The picture above shows the one at the northeast corner of the lot. it was named after George Washington. There is one on the southeast corner named after Horace Mann. The contractors have placed planks around each tree so that they will not come to harm during the erection of the soldier’s memorial building.
Adapted from The Springfield Republican.