Fatally Scalded

by Laurel | September 1st, 2009

September 1, 1902, page 6

Jerome, the three-months-old child of Mr. and Mrs. James P. Hobart of Maple street, died at its home at midnight Saturday night from burns received from tipping over a kettle of scalding water on himself two or three evenings ago. The boy was playing with the gas tube that fed the gas range, upon which a tea-kettle of boiling water was standing, and it caught in the kettle, overturning it upon him. His face, chest and arms so were badly scalded that it was seen that he would not probably live, and he was given up Saturday. The funeral will be held at the parents’ home tomorrow afternoon.

From The Springfield Republican.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Suggested Holyoke Books

Mountain Park -- The Holyoke destination we all loved.

Mount Holyoke College

Mount Holyoke College, Postcard History by Donna Albino. Many Holyoke women have attended Mount Holyoke. Author also maintains an amazing MHC website based upon her personal collection.

Holyoke - Chicopee, A Perspective

Holyoke-Chicopee: A Perspective, by Ella Merkel DiCarlo. DiCarlo, a former Transcript columnist offers a fascinating compilation of her essays. Published in 1982, this out-of-print book is worth looking for in the aftermarket.


Holyoke, by Craig Della Penna. The first Holyoke book in the Arcadia series, published in 1997.

Belle Skinner Collection

Belle Skinner Collection, by Ruth Isabel Skinner. Published in 1933, this book is long out of print but copies are still available in the aftermarket.

Mitch Epstein: Family Business

Mitch Epstein: Family Business Published in 2003, available in the aftermarket. Epstein's furniture.