The Wauregan Paper Company.
This new and complete mill called the "Wauregan," is owned by Mr. James H. Newton, ad was built in 1879. It is a large brick building located on Dwight Street. The finishing rooms are 45 by 82 feet, machine-room 30 by 120 feet, engine-room 46 by 114 feet, size-room 25 by 36 feet, rag boiler building 20 by 33 feet, stock-house 25 by 80 feet.
The first floor is occupied by the finishing-rooms and offices. Here are three web calenders, three stock-cutters, one trimmer, and salting tables. On the second floor are salting tables, store-rooms and offices for rental. The machine-room has an 84-inch Fourdrinier, warranted to run smooth and true at the rate of 200 feet per minute. Here also are ten 3-feet dryers and one stock calender. The engine-room contains wire drawers, shafting, etc. There are six rag-engines of 1000 ton capacity each, and two Jourdans. On the next floor are the rag-rooms, where are dusters, two rag-cutters, salting tables, etc. The attic is devoted to storage and rag whipping, and contains a Sturdevant blower. Capacity, five tons per day of fine book, envelope, and writing paper, white and tinted. Employ 100 persons. Five millpowers, equal to 325 horse-power.
© Laurel O'Donnell 1997 - 2012, all rights reserved
This is an adaptation of the original publication
This document may be downloaded for personal non-commercial use only
and cannot be reproduced or distributed without permission.